Football team ends season with loss to top ranked Warren Central

Melissa Bushong

Sophomore Eddie Schott handed off the ball during the first half. Southport did not score until the second half.

Hannah Garrett, Reporter

The 2016 SHS Cardinal football season came to an end on Nov. 4 when the team played the Warren Central Warriors in the second round of sectionals.

Similar to last year’s sectional game against the Warriors, SHS took a loss with the final score being 50-20. It was a challenging game for the Cards, according to head coach Brandon Winters, because Warren is ranked first in the state. According to maxpreps, they’re also ranked 22nd in the nation.

“The game didn’t go the way we wanted, but I thought a lot of guys stepped up and we fought back in the second half,” Winters said.

The game started off with a field goal by Warren, followed by two touchdowns in the first quarter. By the end of the first half, Warren had 43 points and SHS remained scoreless.

After half time, SHS picked up their game with a touchdown by senior Blake Evans, making the score at the end of third quarter 43-6 Warren.

In the 4th quarter, sophomore Rashawn Haskins scored a touchdown with 8:12 left on the clock. Followed by another touchdown with 3:14 left on the clock.  

One of the many players Winters thought stood out this game was senior running back Andrew Mappes. He carried the ball 15 times for a total of 32 yards.

“I think as a team we responded well after halftime. We had a little bit of a rough first half, but we pulled together like we always do.” Mappes said.