Freshman girls hit the ground running

Ninth grade team rises from pact made among players a year ago

Michael Long, Sports editor

Last year and the four years before that, SHS didn’t have enough incoming girls to make an entire freshmen basketball team, so this year’s freshmen decided to change that trend. Last season, they all communicated throughout the season and during the summer to make sure that they had enough players to have a freshmen team.

When a goal among an entire group (with the exception of two players who moved to SHS this year) like that is made and accomplished, there is a special feeling and sense of pride which freshman Vanessa Miller says she and the rest of the team carry well.

“They all decided a year ago to make sure that they would have enough girls play, to have a freshmen team… They made a goal, and kept that goal, and they accomplished it,” head coach Rachel Parker said.
This year’s freshmen team is currently undefeated, with a record of 4-0, and have had big wins against Avon (score of 40-20), Bloomington South (54-28) and Brownsburg (45-31). This years record is looking better than the last girls freshmen basketball team in 2010-2011 which finished 4-11 under the leadership of coach Niki Smith. According to players on the team, the key to their success is the chemistry that they all have with one another.

“We all have a good chemical bond with each other,” freshman Brynna Reynolds said. “Most of us have been together since third grade for our travel league.”

Reynolds also explained how their team chemistry helps them in their motion offense. In a motion offense, players do not have a certain set play to follow, they are just encouraged to make smart basketball decisions. The chemistry of the team helps the girls make the smartest decisions because they trust each other and know the abilities of their teammates. Good chemistry leads to teams having excellent teamwork which is something Parker says this team does not lack.

“In all three (four) of our team victories, every player has contributed in some way and so our teamwork has really been the key to our success so far,” Parker said.

Parker also said that another reason for the team doing well, is their work ethic in practice and the fact that they listen well.

Having a freshman team can have some very positive effects on the program as a whole, according to Parker.

“When you have that many girls that are interested in playing basketball and are getting that development even at the freshmen level and getting a lot more playing time, it’s going to help them continue not to make those mistakes when they’re moving up in the levels,” Parker said. “Also just getting more playing time on the court…Instead of sitting on the bench being on the JV team.”

The addition of the freshmen team will also keep more of the same players in the basketball program in the future, which will keep the team chemistry that the girls say is so valuable. Having a freshman team can also make the future players see that if they are determined they can make a freshman team of their own.

“I think we’ll stay in the basketball program, and when we’re seniors and juniors, we’ll be really good on varsity,” Miller said.

The freshman team will take their perfect 4-0 record into Saturday’s match up with Franklin Central. Their most recent game against the Center Grove Trojans was cancelled last Tuesday due to snow.

About the Writer
Michael Long, Sports editor
So, I don’t know what you’re doing in the staff section of The Journal Rewired. Nor do I know what you’re doing reading my bio. You should be reading all the great content we produce, but while you’re here, I might as well brief you about myself. My name is Michael Long and this is...