Seniors facing college decisions

Madeline Hittel

Senior Kendall March

Madeline Hittel, Reporter

Being officially T-minus one semester left for the seniors here at SHS, decisions need to be made for post graduation.

With it being the last semester, seniors have to start making important decisions that affect their future.

Senior Kendall March has already decided her college destination and plans to attend the University of Southern Indiana this fall. March feels that having this decision already made before the start of second semester has lifted a huge weight off of her shoulders, so she can enjoy the remaining days of high school.

Although March looks forward to moving into the next chapter of her life, she is sad to leave high school and the people she’s grown up with behind.

“I’m nervous to be done just because I know I’ll have to do everything on my own, but I’m also optimistic about what will happen next,” March said.

March isn’t taking out any student loans for college because her parents are helping her with the expenses.

“It definitely has (relieved stress) knowing that I won’t be in as much debt after graduating,” March said.

Unlike March, Senior Trinity Cline-Smith is on the fence of where she wants to attend this fall. She’s applied to four schools and has heard back from Ball State and Bellarmine, both accepting admissions for Smith. Though she’s been accepted to a few schools, Smith hasn’t made her decision yet.

“(I haven’t decided) because of financial aid and the unknown applications,” Smith said.

Smith’s first choice is Bellarmine University if she gets accepted.

“I just got the feeling when I stepped into the campus like “this is where I’m supposed to be” as cliche as it sounds,” Smith said.

Guidance Counselor Lamont Rascoe believes that choosing a college that won’t put students in too much debt after graduation is important when choosing a college.

“The biggest thing is, you don’t want to go to school and graduate with a huge loan,” Rascoe said. “But going to college is an investment in your future.”

As far as choosing a major, Rascoe thinks it is important to focus on what students  enjoy, and make a career out of it. He suggests visiting www.learnmoreindiana.org and https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/ and take the surveys that help decide the best career choice for you.

“It isn’t 100% accurate, but it gives you an idea,” Rascoe said.

Although choosing a college that isn’t too costly, Rascoe thinks it’s important that you like the campus and class sizes.
“The food can be a deal breaker,” Rascoe said.