Boys soccer coach leaves SHS

After 13 years at SHS, Josh Brown heads closer to home

Hannah Garrett, Reporter

For the past 13 years, the SHS boys’ soccer coach, Josh Brown, has improved the program in many ways from improving the team record to watching some his athletes continue to play at the collegiate level, but his time coaching and teaching at SHS is coming to an end.

Coach Brown plans on leaving SHS after this school year and becoming a coach at Brownsburg High School. It’s not that he doesn’t like his coaching job at SHS:he just feels like it is more convenient to be closer to home.

“It’s a tough decision to leave, but I’m kind of looking forward to having a one-minute drive to work, and as my sons get older they will be in the high school (at Brownsburg), so it will just be nice to be closer to home and family,” Brown said.

Before Coach Brown coached at SHS, the boys’ soccer team had never had a winning record. In the 10 years as the varsity coach, the team has had a lot of success. The team had seven seasons with winning records, they have won three sectional titles and they were County Runner up in the 2016 season, which is the furthest they have ever been in the county tournament, according to Brown. They have accumulated more wins in the 10  years he has been here, than in the 14 previous years of the soccer team’s existence combined. He has also been named Marion County Coach of the Year twice.

He has sent many players to play soccer in college along with having a first team all state player, two second team all state players, three honorable mention all state players, and a regional All-american player. Not only has Coach Brown improved the team, but he has impacted the players’ lives individually as well, according to junior Hunter Cochrell.

“I’ll miss him because he’s been a mentor to me and helped me through high school,” Cocherell said. “He’s a really great coach and has helped the program a lot.”