SHS welcomes new theater teacher

Alyssa Clark

Theater teacher Kimberly Roberts takes attendance during her tech theater class.

Rae Updike, Reporter

Coming from 17 years of teaching in Muncie, new theater teacher Kimberly Roberts started her first day here at SHS on Monday, Nov. 13.

As of right now in regards to the theater classes and being a new member to the SHS family in general, Roberts is trying to adapt to how things were run before. She’s looking into the things that are important and meaningful to the students so she can merge it with what she knows works.

According to Roberts, she has decided to not go through with the original spring play as planned by former theater teacher Barb Whitlock. Coming to a new school in the middle of the year, Roberts thought it would be better not to commit to a “big show” that had been in the works without her before she arrived. She thought it would be better to decide on something new that could be her choice.

“Rights haven’t been applied for,” Roberts said. “We don’t have to worry about any of that stuff. So I’ll be able to announce (the play) later.”

While not knowing her future plans for the 2018-2019 school year, Roberts is preparing to utilize her space more and planning for this year’s spring play to in the black box.

“I just want you guys to know that I’m super excited,” Roberts said. “I think that what I bring to the table is energy and excitement, and I’m excited to share theater with my students and to be part of Southport High School.”

SHS principal Brian Knight, being part of the hiring process of Roberts, says that in her interview, her energy really came through. It was easy, Knight says, to see her energy and her enthusiasm for what she’s doing.

“You can’t teach people passion,” Knight said. “You can’t teach people to love kids, and she had some of those qualities that we are always looking for in a good teacher.”