So… are high school relationships worth it?

Clara Oesterling, Student Life editor

Scrolling through my social media feeds, walking through the school halls and going about my days, I tend to notice a lot of people my age engaging themselves in relationships, whether it be serious or not. One thing I’ve noticed is, sometimes these relationships drag the person down, and other times it uplifts the person and brings him or her to their full potential.

So, this posed a question to me. Are high school relationships worth it? When thinking about this question, I initially thought, “No, because students should focus on their academics while they’re in school.” However, I soon came to the realization that having a significant other during one’s high school years can provide some advantages to both partners in the relationship.

I’ve only been in one serious relationship throughout my 17 years, however, I know I was at one of the best times of my life during that time. I wasn’t worried about what others thought of me, the other person motivated me to do well in school and we both had a rock to fall back on when times had gotten rough.

Now, I’ll admit, it wasn’t all perfect. Sure, we argued and didn’t always get along, but that’s the point of it all, right?

Everyone has their first love, and most high schoolers will experience a heartbreak. And yes, heartbreak sucks, but it’s not all bad.

In Teen Vogue, different 20-year-olds shared what they’ve gathered from heartbreak and the lessons they’ve learned.

“I’m way more independent and in control of my own life now,” Layla via Vogue said.

Relationships at a young age also help students learn how to balance out what’s going on in their lives, which I would say is the most important factor in high school relationships.

Sometimes, with the experiences they gain from a separation, it allows an opportunity to meet new people and not make the same mistakes, however, other times some will go on to marry their high school sweetheart.

According to Brandon Gaille, a marketing expert, 14 percent of people marry their high school sweethearts, and while that may not seem like a lot, it is compared to how many people online date or meet their significant others somewhere else.

Some may argue that relationships distract people from what really matters during high school, but I say that they are worth it in the long run. So, if you’re ever second guessing whether or not to shoot your shot, do it.