Finding meaning behind the stitch

Letters awarded to serve as example of SHS excellence

Letters can be earned in a variety of ways. When earned, they show signs of accomplishment.

Lyndsay Valadez

Lyndsay Valadez

Haley Miller, Reporter

Nervous, yet feeling a sense of accomplishment, sophomore Alicia Stevance listened to her track coach give a speech and award her fellow athletes with accolades at the end of her freshman year. It was at this event that she received her athletic letter.  

“It felt pretty good to know that I had accomplished something,” Stevance said, “and I was part of a team that made me feel good about myself.”

To achieve her athletic letter, Stevance had to earn five Lady Cards, which can be earned in a variety of ways, some of which include being on the varsity roster, being on the team for one year, having a certain GPA, and other accomplishments.

Many students at SHS receive letters in diverse subjects, from music to academics, and they can mean different things to each person who has been awarded with them.

Junior Ashley Williams, for example, lettered in orchestra last year. Her mom helped motivate her as she was attempting to earn the eight points required. The most difficult part, she says, was playing in the pit for the musical. She sees the letter as a mark of all the hard work.

“It means a lot,” Williams said, “because it means I put in enough work.”

In addition to athletic and musical letters, students can receive academic letters. To do this, they must earn a 3.5 GPA or higher for the first seven semesters of high school. They are presented with the award at the Scholastic Recognition Awards Program, taking place this year on May 7. Assistant Principal Amy Boone says an academic letter is one of the few awards that acknowledges academics alone.

“It recognizes the four years of hard work and dedication that students put toward their education,” Boone said.

About the Writer
Haley Miller, News Editor
Hello! I’m Haley Miller, a junior at SHS. Last year, I was a reporter for The Journal, and I’m super excited to be back as News Editor. While working on The Journal is very time-consuming, I participate in other activities, including theater and Cardinal Cadre. I also intern for The Southsider Voice, a local newspaper....