Humans of Southport: Nick Perigo

Clara Oesterling

Clara Oesterling

Clara Oesterling, Media Manager

“I’ve always wanted to build things, and it’s something I’ve done since I was four years old. I’ve always been interested in how things work, why they work that way and how I can make something similar. I remember the first set of Legos I ever got. I remember 8th grade year they gave us the sheet (to fill out our classes for high school), and I saw engineering. I was like ‘Wait, we do that here?’ I remember being so excited for three months, but I was so excited that I forgot to turn in my form. I had to basically beg to get into the class. It’s been something I’ve stuck with for four years. I’m going to college for engineering. I really fell in love with it because of this class. The teachers are nice, and I have a lot of friends in here that have always been able to boost me. This school has given me opportunities. As someone that never even thought they would make it this far, Southport really changed my mind.”

About the Writer
Clara Oesterling, Media Manager

As someone who enjoys tackling big projects and taking risks, my position as the Media Manager suits me well.

It started as a joke. Anytime something funny arose, I’d whip out my phone and start recording as if I was reporting on RTV6.

“This is Clara Oesterling reporting live outside rRoom 400. The first annual pumpkin smashing has taken place… ,” and you can assume how the rest went. Yes, that actually happened.

It’s who I am- open, spontaneous and kind of tech savvy. It’s a learning process. I enjoy learning and diving into what can become a great turnout.

I look forward to coming to a conclusion after a meeting with the Mayor’s Youth Leadership Council I serve on, to putting together school dances with Student Council and, oh yeah, putting together a whole publication with the rest of our staff. I’ve learned that hard work is worth it, no matter what.

This is my happy place.

P.S. : I never quit.