Students adjust to siblings leaving for college

Junior+Colbi+Cocherell+%28right%29+smiles+for+a+picture+with+his+brother+Hunter%2C+who+signed+to+the+University+of+Indianapolis.+

Contributed by Colbi Cocherell

Junior Colbi Cocherell (right) smiles for a picture with his brother Hunter, who signed to the University of Indianapolis.

With fall just around the corner, many colleges have begun their semesters. As students start moving out of their houses and into their dorms, some of their siblings start to realize what a difference it is to not have them around.

For some younger siblings at SHS, they may have seen their older siblings as being leaders for them during high school, giving them some tips and tricks on how to survive and succeed during the next four years. Without having someone to follow since their older brother or sister graduated, some students have found themselves struggling.

Junior Jacob Warfel, whose sister, Libby, graduated with the class of 2018, has experienced some differences at his house as it seems empty now. Warfel mentions the fact that times, like dinnertime, are unusual now that his sister isn’t around. Considering the fact that they spent a lot of time together, it takes some adjusting to get used to Libby not being around. He has recently been seeing the impact that her absence has on him during the school day.

“It is always weird when seniors leave,” Warfel said. “Especially now, I don’t really have anybody to look up to.” 

Though Warfel has found a number of difficulties within the change, he believes that his sister is receiving an excellent education at Purdue University. Other students have similar feelings, but some, like junior Colbi Cocherell, have found that their older siblings graduating  has had a positive impact on them. Cocherell, for example, finds himself feeling more independent at home and at school.

It is always weird when seniors leave. Especially now, I don’t really have anybody to look up to.

— Junior Jacob Warfel

“I get to just leave when I want,” Cocherell said. “I don’t have to wait around for my brother anymore, so that’s nice.”

Cocherell and his older brother, Hunter, played soccer and football together, so this school year is extremely different for him, even though he has been seeking out the positives of his brother moving out.

Another one of the ways younger siblings like Cocherell and Warfel have been adjusting is by spending more time focusing at school with clubs and sports. Cocherell is involved in football, and Warfel is involved in theater. They have also been spending a lot of time with their friends in order to become accustomed to no longer attending the same school as their siblings.