SHS football team falls to 2-1


Madelyn Knight

Junior Ryan Lezon is tackled by a Columbus North defender. SHS lost the game 41-36.

After the third game of  football season, there was a lot of disappointment among players and coaches. SHS fell 41-36 to Columbus North, and Conference Indiana rival.

The Cardinals’ senior quarterback, Eddie Schott threw three interceptions in the first half to give the Bulldogs a good field position that they used to score 17 points. Schott also passed two touchdown passes to senior receiver Rashawn Haskins in the first half. With a score of 17-14, SHS did not play their best football, but were not out of the game yet.

“We had a lot of mistakes on our own end,” said head coach Brian Winters. “So we put the defense in a bad position three or four times, and we didn’t really make them work to get points. They didn’t have to get any yards.

In the second half, SHS dug themselves a deep hole with three unanswered touchdowns to make the score 31-14. They could have very easily given up, but junior receiver Ryan Lezon and Schott began to make really impressive connections. Lezon caught two back-to-back touchdown passes that were both followed by two-point conversions caught by Lucas Willoughby and Matthew Munoz.

SHS did hold Columbus North to a 33 yard field goal, and they did not score again for the remainder of the game. With a score of 41-30 and time running out in the fourth quarter SHS still had a glimmer of hope for a win.

Junior Matthew Munoz caught a touchdown pass with little time left in the third quarter but the two-point conversion was not good. The Cardinals attempted an onside kick to have a chance to score again but recovered the ball before it traveled the required 10 yards. Ultimately, their attempt to win was not fulfilled and the game ended with a loss for the home team.

Though the outcome was not desirable, the Cardinals showed persistence through tough times. Schott completed 30 of 55 passes for 359 yards and Lezon made 15 catches for 169 yards. They were also able to cut a 17 point lead to 5 by the end of the game.

“I was really proud of our kids for fighting back in the game,” Winters said. “We were an onside kick away from winning the game so they played hard at the end.”

The Cardinals will search for a win next week on Friday, Sept. 7 at Brebeuf Jesuit at 7 p.m.