Filed under News, Showcase

Math lab hours increased

Math+teacher+Cathee+Cullison%2C+pictured%2C+says+the+new+math+lab+hours+are+beneficial+for+students+because+they+present+more+opportunities+to+get+help+from+teachers.+
Math teacher Cathee Cullison, pictured, says the new math lab hours are beneficial for students because they present more opportunities to get help from teachers.

With the loss of PMHS math labs and a great amount of students interested in attending them, more math labs are now offered at SHS Monday through Thursday from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The math department hopes that the new hours are beneficial to students in need of extra help in their math classes and will allow them to have definite times to receive assistance.

Originally, math labs were offered at SHS on Mondays and Wednesdays and at PMHS Tuesdays and Thursdays, but PMHS decided to stop offering math lab times.

Math teacher Cathee Cullison says that many students can benefit from the time change because it allows them to get more help from teachers and from each other since a lot of students like to use math labs as a time for group studying.

“It really helps to give the students more of a one-on-one experience,” Cullison said.

Junior Taylor Jackson believes that it will be beneficial for many students because it can help students who may have to work or participate in a sport or club after school. Even if students cannot make it to one day, it is possible for them to go to another day since there are multiple options.

“It gives me more of an opportunity to go for help,” junior Taylor Jackson said.

About the Writer
Grace Campbell, Reporter
Hi! I’m Grace. I’m a junior at SHS. This is my first year on The Journal as a writer for the news section. I’ve been involved in the theater for the past two years working the crew for shows. Outside of school, I spend a lot of my time working at a kennel, because I...