SHS football takes on Brownsburg in sectionals

Senior Rashawn Haskins breaks a tackle during the homecoming game against Terre Haute North on Sept 21.

Jordin Baker

Jordin Baker

For the first time in over 14 years, the SHS Cards will be facing the Brownsburg Bulldogs tonight in the Cards first sectional game. On paper, this could be SHS’s toughest matchup of the year due to the Bulldogs coming into the game with an undefeated season and with senior wide receiver Lucas Willoughby suspended due to disciplinary reasons, who averaged 5 catches and 93 yards per game.

According to senior quarterback Eddie Schott, the past week of practice leading up to tomorrow was “great” mentioning how everything was “crisp and executed very well.”

One Bulldog player who Schott mentioned as a threat was senior wide receiver Bryce Kirtz. Kirtz is a very dynamic player, being a viable option when throwing, running or catching the ball. According to Maxpreps, Kirtz averages a stat-line around five catches, 87 yards and one touchdown per game. With this, the SHS defense will need to step up and stop Brownsburg’s  star player.

According to head coach Brandon Winters, the defense’s plan on shutting down the Bulldog’s  offense is different than normal. Rather than double covering and shadowing their receivers, Winters plans to have the defense rush and hurry the quarterback to make off-balanced throws.

To see this matchup unravel, head to Brownsburg High School tonight, with the kickoff set to happen at 7.

Meet The Writer:
Logan Zrebiec, Reporter

Hey, my name is Logan Zrebiec, and I am currently a senior here at SHS. I am a sports writer here on The Journal. I play baseball here at the High School,...