Girls swim team ready to showcase their work in upcoming season

Noah Thomas

Senior Liz Lamkin swims backstroke for a portion of the Individual Medley Event in this past 2017-18 season. She states that she is excited to take on this upcoming season with her teammates.

SHS is bracing for winter, while the girls swimming and diving team is hoping for a lot of success in the 2018-19 season. The girls are looking to put their offseason work to the test and expand as a team by breaking records, winning more meets and performing better in the postseason.

Head coach Matt Jefferies has big goals for the girls. He believes that they could potentially break 10 to 12 records held by previous athletes if they “really put in the effort.”

Senior Liz Lamkin has been with the team since her freshman year, but looks forward to this year more than ever before. The team has developed a lot in recent years and she is ready to see the results. Lamkin has high expectations in the ability of herself and some of her younger teammates.

“I’ve never been more excited to be part of a team than this year,” said Lamkin

In their time off, the girls have only improved. They did not lose any swimmers and they have gained a couple new faces including freshman Caroline Reinke and sophomore Emme Egan. They have also been getting stronger in practice and watching their diets to ensure they are well prepared for their first match on Thursday, Nov. 15 at Ben Davis High School.