Retaking roles

Retaking roles

Letting women choose their own roles in society is true feminism

Earlier this year, I told someone that I could see myself as a stay-at-home mom in the future. I was immediately met with their response that I was “too smart for that” and it would be a “waste of my brain.” While I don’t think that this person meant to demean stay-at-home moms, this interaction still crushed me in the moment and prompted me to think about the larger implications of this attitude.

In my opinion, these statements show a complete lack of respect for mothers in our society. How ridiculous is it to consider raising children into caring, intelligent and responsible adults worthless?

Even though modern feminism has pushed the narrative that work outside the home is more valuable than traditional homemaking, true feminism allows women the freedom to choose the right balance for themselves.

I will be the first to tell you that women should be able to do whatever job they want without worrying about gender barriers, but I also think that there is genuine value to the traditional wife and mother role.

Kids with stay-at-home parents perform better in school, according to a study by Eric Bettinger, who is a professor at the Stanford Graduate School of Education. Additionally, stay-at-home parents eliminate the cost of child-care, which is over $12,500 per year in Indiana according to Illumine. Furthermore, stay-at-home parents get around five more hours of sleep per week than working parents, according to Pew Research Center. From my own experience, more sleep means more patience, which is vital for parents.

On the other hand, there is also immense value in having women in the workforce. A survey by The Peterson Institute for International Economics concluded that companies with women in executive-level leadership positions had significantly higher net margins, the amount of profit the company gets for each dollar of revenue generated, than those without. Additionally, women tend to have different skill sets than men which can make workplaces more well-rounded, and they also help improve staff retention, according to MichaelPage, which can help to create a more stable and supportive work environment. Women also tend to be better communicators than men, which I can say is fully true from my own experience, and this can help make companies run more efficiently.

In light of the benefits of women in both traditional roles and the workforce, I believe that true feminism lies in each person’s ability to choose which option or which blend of the two options is appropriate for them.

To me, feminism means that I should be allowed to do whatever work I find most fulfilling without being put down for it. If that means that I want to be a computer programmer, I shouldn’t face any backlash because it is a traditionally male-dominated field. Conversely, if I want to be a stay-at-home mom, I shouldn’t be ridiculed as though I am wasting my potential. And, if I decide that I want to blend the two together, I should be able to do that as well without being judged for “doing too much.” All of these paths are valuable in today’s society, and there isn’t one that is inherently “better” or “worse” than the other.

And so, as I go into the next chapter of my life, I hope that whether I end up as an engineer, stay-at-home mom, wife or a mix of everything, I will be supported as I embrace feminism.

View Comments (1)
Lucy Hiller
Lucy Hiller, Sports Reporter
Howdy! My name is Lucy Hiller, and I’m a senior this year (whoop whoop), so I’m savoring every last second I get at SHS. For my third year on The Journal, I’m back as a Sports Writer. I spent last year as the Sports Editor, and while it was a truly incredible experience, I really missed getting to write and share peoples’ stories with the world. Outside of The Journal, I’m on the cross country, swimming and track teams at SHS, and I just got a job at Fleet Feet, so if you ever need running shoes, come find me. In my free time, I enjoy playing piano, reading and cooking (go check out @lucys.yums on Instagram). I also love spending time outdoors, especially on hikes with my family (and of course, Benny, my dog). One thing I’m really excited about this year is getting to help elementary students at Homecfort produce their own mini version of The Journal because it’s so rewarding to see their excitement when they finally hold the paper in their hands. I hope I haven’t distracted you from our content for too long already, but you should totally get back to reading all of the articles that thejournalrewired.com has to offer.

• L

lucy len dimApr 30, 2024 at 9:16 am

Lucy!!!! I love this so much! everything u said is so spot on & I’m so glad u decided to voice your beliefs so others can gain a new perspective. always slaying it for realz!!!

Reply