Saving lives

NHS is making preparations to host the annual blood drive on Sep. 20

Christina+Ferguson+is+the+director+of+NHS+and+is+in+charge+of+the+blood+drive.+

Tanny Khun

Christina Ferguson is the director of NHS and is in charge of the blood drive.

Over the course of the year, SHS has many events that require the involvement of the Southport community. An example of this is the blood drive that the National Honor Society volunteers for. Having the blood drive will help local hospitals in need of blood donations.  

“I wouldn’t say it’s a requirement or responsibility, it’s more of an opportunity for our NHS members to go out and help the community and earn some service points.” NHS member, senior Thawng Cung said.

NHS is working alongside the American Red Cross to bring a blood drive to SHS in the fall. Cung is involved in helping get students involved with the blood drive. Members are being encouraged to bring in as many volunteers that they can.

“We are planning to have promoters at lunch who go around with forms to try and get people interested,” Cung said. “Also we will have a table at lunch for people who are interested in signing up.” 

The blood drive is on Sep. 20 from 7 a.m. to 12 p.m. in the East Gym. It will be handled by professional staff, but the members of NHS will be there volunteering for service hours. The promoters and sign-up table will be recruiting donors from Sep. 17 through Sep. 19.

NHS officers will be going around iPass right before the date of the blood drive to get any last minute donors for the blood drive, according to NHS president and senior Mya Schuessler. Donors will have to wait 56 days to be able to donate again.

“Students will help sign people up, sign people in the day of and raise awareness about it,” Schuessler said.

As long as donors meet certain requirements, such as weight and blood levels, they will be allowed to donate blood. They will be given informational packets to provide needed knowledge and to help them prepare for the blood drive.

“Last year we had around 100 students, but only 60 units of blood were actually able to be donated,” NHS director Christina Ferguson said. “Some students were turned away because of not meeting height or weight requirements, or because they were on antibiotics.”

According to Ferguson, this is her first year working to bring the fall blood drive to the school with the NHS members. She is hoping to get enough of a turnout to get hospitals the blood they need. 

Last year, the blood drive brought in 60 units of blood, each unit being able to save three lives. This year, the committee is aiming to bring in at least 70 units of blood. Improvements are being brought to help the donors have an easier and faster encounter. According to Ferguson, donors can now sign up for a fast pass, which allows them to have no wait time during their appointment.

A low blood supply is hard for hospitals and families in need of blood transfusions. Seniors are especially encouraged to sign up for the upcoming blood drive since they don’t need parent consent and can sign up at their own will. Presentations can be viewed on the Red Cross website to gain further information on donations, including recovery and possible side effects.