Welcoming a year of challenges

Nick Stevens transitions into being SHS’s new Assistant Athletic Director

Brianna Henry

New Assistant Athletic Director Nick Stevens has to face obstacles in the time of the coronavirus. He previously worked at Franklin Central High School.

For Assistant Athletic Director Nick Stevens, this year is going to be a different experience. When he came from Franklin Central, Stevens was very excited.

“I am very excited to be at Southport,” Stevens said. “So far, it has been a great transition. The staff, coaches and students have been very welcoming.”

For the past six years, he was Franklin Central High School’s Athletic Director, where he also coached boys and girls swimming. He has a great deal of experience after swimming at Ball State University for four years once he finished his high school career at Greencastle Senior High School. 

Not only does he enjoy swimming, but he also spends his free time reading, cycling and running. He has always been interested in web development and is now teaching himself JavaScript and CSS in his downtime.

His favorite sports to watch are soccer, basketball, and hockey. He also recently began watching lacrosse, which he says he enjoys a lot. 

This year, the athletic department has planned that if any sports teams can’t get a game, they will try and find another team that doesn’t have a game that week and try to play them.