Creating memories along the way

Foreign exchange student has high hopes for his future in America

Grace Elder

Junior Pablo Crémer plays a piece on the piano. He plays a variety of other instruments too.

Junior Pablo Crémer Cuart remembers the adrenaline building up within him as he first walked the halls of SHS. Although he was nervous, his eagerness to explore what it was like to be a high schooler in America kept him going.
“All of the students here have been so nice to me and trying to get me here to America…,” Crémer said.
Crémer is one of the newest exchange students here at SHS. He is from Mallorca, located in the Balearic Islands, which are right under Spain.
Host father and orchestra teacher Thomas Wright has hosted 43 previous foreign exchange students. He doesn’t have students from Spain often, but has previously hosted children from other countries in Europe.

“Since we are used to having kids from Europe, it has been an easy adjustment,” Wright said.
Crémer mentions that he couldn’t have been chosen by a better host family. He says he is very grateful for all of the opportunities that he has been given at SHS, thanks to the Wrights.
Unlike the typical person who is vis

iting a new country, he does not have a checklist of things he wants to see or do, nor does he want one. He believes that he should not have any expectations, but he is always open to exploring new things like going to museums with his host-family and friends.

There seem to be a lot of differences between the United States and Mallorca to Crémer not just in the citizens’ behavior, but in the culture and food too. Besides the language barrier, he says that people speak very happily here.

He mentions people in Spain are very serious, unlike the people he has encountered in school. Crémer had also noticed the difference in what Americans eat compared to meals in Spain. Even though he loves the food here, the food in his home country is a lot more traditional and homemade.
“(Americans) have a lot of fast food restaurants here,” Crémer said. “I love that.”
Another difference Crémer had noticed in the U.S. is being able to raise a flag with pride, since that is not the case in Spain and Mallorca.
“You can get in trouble,” Crémer said. “Politics in Spain are so divided and everyone thinks very different things.”
One of the other things he found as a major culture shock were the films. He thought that America would be like the stereotypical high school movies. In those movies, everyone has school spirit and they are very high energy.
“In Spain, everyone has an objective vision of the United States,” Crémer said, “We just see America as a dream, that people are very involved in their country, and you have a lot of things that we wish we had in Spain.”
Crémer is very active in the school. He has made many friends along with junior