‘A friend of journalism’

Principal Brian Knight named Administrator of the Year for student publications

Sam Hanley

Principal Brian Knight receives Administrator of the Year award from IHSPA.

Indiana Administrator of the Year is granted from the Indiana High School Press Association to an administrator that has shown tremendous support to student publications. 

Principal Brian Knight was presented this award on Jan. 28 at Franklin College during the Indiana High School Journalism Convention. 

“Some awards don’t mean much to me,” Knight said. “But when it’s things where it’s your students and people that you work with directly everyday that see that you’re doing good things for the school or being supportive of their individual programs, then those are the things that matter to me.” 

Anchor advisor Sam Hanley, Journal advisor Mike Klopfenstein and several students nominated Knight for this award because of the support that he has shown for these programs. 

Knight has shown his support to journalism in many different ways. One of which is always fitting in time for interviews for The Journal and Anchor staff. 

Along with doing interviews, Knight respects the students First Amendment rights and freedom of speech. He says that he doesn’t have to worry about setting boundaries for what The Journal publishes. 

“Whenever we need an interview or whenever we need to talk to an administrator, they’re always available for us,” Hanley said. “But I think the bigger picture is understanding that strong student First Amendment rights aren’t a scary thing for administrators but a good thing for administrators.”

The Indiana Department of Education started allowing a journalism class for English credit four years ago. Hanley and Klopfenstein proposed this idea for students at SHS and Knight was immediately on board. The number of students taking a journalism class has nearly doubled since before having journalism as an English credit. There is currently a semester journalism class for elective credit and a full year journalism class for English credit. 

“I think he is really deserving. He has definitely been a friend of journalism and student publications,” Klopfenstein said. 

Knight also appreciates the relationship he has with both The Journal and The Anchor. He says that he never has to worry about them making the school look bad. 

“I know I’m the one that got the award, but without Mr. Klopfenstein or Mr. Hanley, I don’t get that award,” Knight said. “They do such a good job with those classes that I get the opportunity to just be supportive and I don’t have to worry.”