Q and A with Macy Chafin

Senior volleyball player reaches one thousand career assists
Q and A with Macy Chafin

Since starting volleyball since seventh grade, senior Macy Chafin has played as both a right side hitter and a setter. However, Chafin realized that setting was her true passion and decided to pursue that position. During a tournament on Saturday, Aug. 12, Chafin reached her 1,000th career assist.

1. How do you feel after reaching this milestone?

I feel really good, but I wish I had gotten it a lot sooner. It’s a really good milestone to hit, and it really shows how far I’ve come and how much I’ve grown.

2. Do you have any interest in playing volleyball after high school?

Yes. I kind of had to start (the process) over. I was talking to Grace College and they’re my number one. They kind of stopped answering my emails and signed a setter a week later and didn’t tell me. 

3. Is there anyone you’d like to thank?

Yeah. My family and friends of course, my club coach (and) my setting coach. They’ve influenced my love for setting and volleyball in general.

4. Do you have any advice for young players?

Volleyball is just so fun. There’s always something to love about it, even if it’s not volleyball related. Play no matter the position because the friendships and memories will last a long time. 

5. Anything else you’d like to share?

My sister (Marlee Chafin) is also a setter. Part of the reason I’ve found more of a love for the sport is because I get to teach my little sister what I know.

Chafin played in her first varsity volleyball game at Decatur Central High School on Aug. 17, 2020. Contributed by Macy Chafin.