The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

Following in their footsteps

Two siblings commit to the same college that their parents attended
(left) Senior Josie Miller holds an arabesque during a football game. (right) The twins sit together during Josie’s signing to Marian University. (photos contributed by Josie Miller)

The Miller family began at Marian University, or at least, at the time, Marian College. It all started when Matt and Amy Miller met at a dance. They would go on to have 3 kids: Vanessa and years later twins: Josie and Calvin.

With Matt and Amy both being college athletes at the time, Matt playing baseball and Amy playing basketball, it was no surprise that their kids would grow up to be athletes.

Vanessa went on to play Division I softball at the University of Louisville, where she currently still is. But with Calvin and Josie’s senior year coming to a close, it was their turn to make their own choice on where to go to play their sports. And with both getting offers to play for Marian, it was an easy decision.

“I met my wife there, and I have a great family because of it … ,” Matt said. “I’m just excited (Josie and Calvin are) happy. It’s a great coincidence that they’re happy (with) the same place that I was happy.”

Next year, Calvin and Josie will go on to follow their parents’ footsteps and be college athletes at Marian University, with Josie doing competitive cheer and Calvin playing both baseball and football.

Josie says that her initial plan for college was to do the opposite and go far away from home, but she had a change of heart and wanted to stay close.

That is when Marian came into the picture, and Josie ended up committing. Then, when Calvin committed to Marian two months later, the decision to go to college together was the one they wanted all along.

“So I guess we think there was a little bit of ‘Maybe it would be cool to be together for another four years,’” Josie said.

(left) Senior Calvin Miller takes a swing in a game against Perry Meridian High School. (right) Calvin and Josie smile together during Calvin’s signing. (photos contributed by Josie Miller)

Calvin says that he hasn’t ever been to school in general without her before, and he doesn’t know if it’s going to be anything different than what he’s used to, but he is still ready for the college experience.

“I’m excited for something new,” Calvin said. “I feel like I do the same thing every week for high school, so I’m just excited to switch something up.”

Josie also says that she is excited for change and the freedoms that come with college.

“We have our whole lives to be separate, so why not have another four years together?” Josie said.