The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

Around the world

SHS Travel Club explores the world
SHS Travel Club in front of a traditional Dutch windmill in Amsterdam.

Over 10 years ago, the SHS Travel Club, a club where students get to explore different parts of the world with friends from school, was formed.

Each year, the group picks a new destination to navigate. Many students have not gotten the opportunity to travel outside of Indiana.  Touring a new place and collecting new ideas and perspectives around the world can be a life-changing experience for students.

“The best part of our job is taking kids and allowing them to have these experiences and see their eyes being opened to things outside Indiana,” club sponsor Dawn Fowerbaugh said. 

Recently, the club has been to Ireland, Amsterdam and Paris. They visited different museums and landmarks where they spotted new cultures, recognized the different languages and histories throughout the trip. They also tried different cuisines of Costa Rica.  

Coming up this spring break, SHS Travel Club will be heading to Costa Rica for eight days. The cost of this particular trip is estimated to cost around $3,300. On this trip, students will be able to explore the different parts of Costa Rica while going on adventures such as kayaking, zip-lining, hiking, along with exploring the cultures of the country.  

Although being involved in this club is costly,  students can have their own fundraising pages on Educational Tours, a website where people can donate and lower the costs. From past trips, exploring new places around the world has brought many members of this group, who were once strangers, together. 

“You become a family when you’re on the trip,” Fowerbaugh said.