The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

Taking a ‘bow’

Junior chases passion for violin
Junior Silas Denton stands while playing violin at orchestra concert on December 6. Denton has been playing the violin since he was 5 years old. photo by Darcy Leber

For thirteen years, junior Silas Denton has had his “unique” quality of playing the violin since he was a child. 

Denton’s mother had helped him discover his ability of playing the violin. Not only does he play the instrument for the SHS Orchestra but it also runs in his Italian culture. 

His mother Stacy Denton had inspired him from a very young age to play the violin but Denton says that since he was just a baby, he had an enthusiasm for music.

“Well I play because where I’m from in Italy we usually play instruments and violin is the main instrument so my mom got me into it,” Denton said. “I think ever since I was born I had a passion for music.” 

Denton doesn’t just do music for SHS, he also travels worldwide and has gone to many different countries to perform. 

“I’ve played all over the world,” Denton said. “I’ve played in Vienna, I’ve played in Osaka, I’ve played in Canada, and I’ve played in Germany and in the UK.” 

Entering high school, Denton was misplaced in the intermediate orchestra because of his schedule but according to orchestra teacher Thomas Wright, Denton had already come in with a good tone. 

The so-called “misplacement” gave Denton many opportunities; Denton was recently selected by Wright to play in the first-ever Indiana String Teachers Association All-State Orchestra.

The students were selected throughout the state of Indiana and Denton had the opportunity to be selected and to play with those students. 

Wright says it is uncommon for a lot of his high school kids to exhibit excitement for playing in a high school orchestra. 

“He works really hard. I mean he puts in a lot of extra time … ,” Wright said. “He’s just got a very good work ethic and every day (when) he comes to class he wants to play and he exhibits an excitement for playing his instrument and that is a little uncommon with a lot of my high school kids.” 

Even though he loves what he does, playing the violin comes with its negatives as it comes with its positives.

“The amount of work you have to put into it even to be considered a great violinist or even a great musician it just takes so much time, that you have to sacrifice a part of your life to do it,” Denton said. 

Looking forward, Wright can’t wait to see what Denton does and is looking forward to seeing him grow and can’t wait to be part of it. “He does a fantastic job and we look forward to see where his music takes him in the future,” Wright said.

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Harjas Kaur
Harjas Kaur, Features Reporter
Hi, my name is Harjas Kaur Chauhan, and I’m excited to enter the 2023-2024 school year as a sophomore here at SHS. This is my first year on The Journal, and I am a Features writer. I am so excited to meet new people and work with everyone this year. As I get to know you, I want you to know a little bit about me! So I grew up in a small town in New Jersey and was born into a Sikh family. I started speaking Punjabi when I was four and was surrounded by culture and family. I loved to read and go to the Gurudwara as a child. My background is still an important part of me, and I carry pride in being a Sikh. When I turned eight, I moved to Indiana. It’s really different because here I can’t just travel to New York on the weekend, which is why I don’t really like it, but I can’t say it’s all that bad because I met my best friend Simran here. I love watching horror movies with her. Thanks for checking out my bio, now go check out the rest!

Comments (1)

All The Journal Rewired Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• L

Lucy Len DimDec 14, 2023 at 7:59 pm

great story harjas & love the title too kenzie!!! :)) also woo go silas !

Reply