Freshman Damien Mbokola prepares for a photo after receiving his award for wining a poetry/song contest at the Central library of the Indianapolis Public Library. Photo contributed by Melissa Stanley

Notes of Resilience

Freshman overcomes language barriers to win a poetry contest

Freshman Damien Mbokola has cherished making and listening to music throughout his entire childhood, but it wasn’t until 2019 that he became truly serious about it. His skill and love for music led him to enter and effortlessly win a songwriting contest. 

“Ever since I was a kid, I loved singing,” Mbokola said.

Mbokola recently arrived in the United States from Congo and is primarily fluent in Swahili. Despite his new arrival, Mbokola persevered through the language barriers and composed a song that seamlessly blended both English and Swahili. 

The song he wrote was for a contest named “Slamming Rhymes Poetry,” organized by the Central Library of the Indianapolis Public Library for their Fall Fest 2023. The contest featured eight students, and students were given the opportunity to either write poetry or a song with the given theme, freedom. Mboloka wrote a song about his home country for the contest. 

“It (the song) is just about the struggle in Africa,” Mbokola said, “There’s a lot going on in Africa right now with war.”

Melissa Stanley, one of Mbokola’s teachers, noticed he had notebooks filled with what appeared to be poetry in Swahili. Upon inquiry, he revealed they were songs, and in that moment, Stanley knew he had the potential to excel in the contest.

Given the late notification about the contest, Stanley acknowledged that Mbokola had limited time to write and record his song. Despite this challenge, he managed to produce something remarkable. 

“I felt like he had to win,” Stanley said. “I thought his song was really great especially given the limited English.”

“I felt like he had to win. I thought his song was really great especially given the limited English.”

— EL Teacher Melissa Stanley

After composing his song, Mbokola found a suitable beat and recorded the piece in the school’s studio. Once completed, he submitted his work.

Before long, Stanley and Mbokola were informed that he had been selected as one of the winners. Upon receiving his award, Mbokoloa visited the Central Library and performed in front of an audience. 

Describing Mbokola as a diligent, confident and driven individual, Stanley noted that he consistently exhibits these traits, particularly when preparing for this contest. 

Because of his confidence, Mbokola did not experience any pressure while participating in the contest. 

“I didn’t have any challenges because I knew that I was talented.” Mbokola said.

To read the lyrics Mboloka’s song that allowed him to win the contest, click the link.