The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

Injecting idealization

Injecting idealization

Society has exploited the use of Ozempic

“Oh-Oh-Oh-Ozempic … ” A jingle starts playing as it’s a commercial break on the TV. Happy people can be seen strolling around town, completing tasks while the music for it is so loud, one questions how far their volume was up.

In a world reliant on social media, influencers and Hollywood celebrities with household names post selfies of themselves or third parties photograph them at lavish events. Wait, why do they look different than they did two weeks ago?

Because of the main side effect being weight loss, the medication has caught the eye of many looking for an easy way to lose weight. Especially with celebrities and those who can spare the not-so-pretty price tag. 

But the rise of popularity in using Ozempic has made it harder for it to be available. So many people are using it that there’s a shortage. Shouldn’t it be kept in mind who the drug is originally for? Ozempic should not be seen as an easier alternative to lose weight and society has exploited its use.

The drug Ozempic is a pen injection whose original purpose was for those with type 2 diabetes. It would work by helping the pancreas produce more insulin. With the main active ingredient being semaglutide, also known as Wegovy, it’s used to help lower obesity and other weight related problems.

However, the idea is that one will continuously take Ozempic to keep their blood sugar lowered as well as reducing the risk for heart problems. Norvo Nordisk, the company who created the drug, has advised against using it for chronic weight management. It hasn’t yet been studied to see how it affects people using it solely for weight loss.

According to EuroNews.health, “The US marketing authorisation specifies that Wegovy carries warnings for “inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis), gallbladder problems (including gallstones), low blood sugar, acute kidney injury, diabetic retinopathy (damage to the eye’s retina).” 

Are long-term effects really worth losing rapid weight in a few weeks? If one can afford to be spending $1600 on Ozempic (insurance companies don’t cover it for weight loss) why can’t they promote the money towards lifestyle changes that don’t negatively affect them in the long run? 

Kurt Reidel weighed 425 pounds and got weight loss surgery to bring his weight down. He was then put on Trulicity (GLP1 drug like Ozempic) with the intention of bringing his type 2 diabetes under control. CBS news states that Reidel has been waiting a month to get his prescription refill and has to check his sugar twice a day in order to avoid going to the hospital. 

Those who need it in order to keep them functioning and healthy can’t get it because of the number of people focused on an effortless way to lose weight. Also, because of basic supply and demand, the prices of all GLP1 have inflated due to consumers trying to get their hands on what they can.

Linkedin.com says that drugmakers increased prices of Ozempic and other popular medications in the first two weeks of 2024. December’s price increase was 3.4%, however January’s rose to 4.5%.

Some may argue that if people can afford the drug and want to lose weight then “go for it”. In fact, Kelly Osbourne, a tv personality, said that the only people furious about Ozempic being used for weight loss are mad because they secretly do it or because they can’t afford it. Since when was it admirable to look down on someone’s financial status?

The problem is that the drug was intended to aid people with type 2 diabetes. Now that the medication is so popular, those who pharma companies created the prescription for can’t even get their hands on it because of pricing or because it’s just simply not available. Also, not to mention the side effects and risks that come with taking the injection. 

Society should be mindful and leave the medication to those that need it. The trend of people glorifying a drug that isn’t relevant to their needs promotes disordered eating and pressures those to believe this is the only efficient way to weight loss. Those who do want to lose weight have a ton of natural alternatives that won’t heavily impact their bodies in the long run.

Stop with the gambling of both the health of users for weight loss and the health of those who are left actually relying on the medication and let’s safeguard the well-being of those who the creation was originally intended for.

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Julianna Miranda
Julianna Miranda, Opinion Editor
Hey! I’m Julianna Miranda and this is my second year on The Journal! This time I have come back as the Opinion Editor. I feel like this is a perfect position for me as I love to voice my opinion and I have thoughts about pretty much everything. Besides this silly little newspaper that I love so much, I also play soccer for the SHS girl’s team and play violin in the advanced orchestra. When I am not giving my time to school or being a barista, taking naps or playing on my pc take up a lot of my time. Recently, I’ve been getting into JDM cars as a hobby and even bought my own Subaru BRZ. It’s really enticing and addictive getting to plan and work up to make it the car of my dreams. Anyway, I’m really looking forward to seeing what I can do in an aspect other than writing and getting to design pages!

Comments (1)

All The Journal Rewired Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• J

Julie MirandaApr 5, 2024 at 5:46 pm

Great insight and great argument for the people who truly need it but can’t access it. Thank you !

Reply