Darcy Leber
Freshman Piper Leber observes the eclipse through her protective glasses on April 8. Over 75 million eclipse glasses were manufactured. in the U.S. for this single event.

A three minute spectacle

Hundreds of thousands of people gather in Indianapolis to witness the total solar eclipse

On Monday, April 8, Indy became a hot spot to watch the total solar eclipse, pulling in more than 125,000 visitors because of it.

With the eclipse passing through Indiana, people not only come here to view the eclipse, but some also have expressed and shared their opinions of it along with what they had done on this momentous event.

“Our hotel rooms were sold out on Sunday night and had limited availability for Monday night,” senior director of public relations at Visit Indy Morgan Snyder said. “Airbnb claims that Indy was the number one most booked destination within the path of totality.”

With Airbnb claiming that Indy was the most booked destination for this event, it seems as though people couldn’t wait to see a total eclipse.

Some teachers and students have mixed feelings about the eclipse due to their expectations.

Sophomore Elijah Boyd says that he expected total darkness during the eclipse.

“It could’ve stayed darker for a lot longer,” Boyd said.

Some people even gathered at different places to view the eclipse, with many going to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, while others either stayed home or went somewhere else.

“We went to the end of our cul-de-sac and had a little cul-de-sac party with some of our neighbors,” English teacher Tim Jamriska said. “ … It was awesome.”

With the end of the eclipse comes the anticipation of when the next will occur. According to Space.com, total solar eclipses occur about once every 18 months.

So for those who like to travel, according to Sky News, the next total eclipse will be in Spain and Portugal on Aug. 12, 2026. However, if travel isn’t your thing, according to WHAS11, the next total solar eclipse won’t hit Indiana until 2153.