Measles Outbreak creates scare

Zing Vang, Reporter

Without a doubt, the rates of measles, a vaccine-preventable disease, have been on the rise recently in the United States, written by board certified physician.

Measles is an infection caused by a virus, which causes an illness displaying a characteristic skin rash known as an exanthem.

Measles had been fairly low since the endemic spread of measles was eliminated in 2000, but it seem to continue to hit new record highs for measles every few years past and now, after it hits a record low number of cases in 2004, written by board certified physician.

Measles begins with a fever. After that, it causes a cough, red eyes, and runny nose. Then a rash of tiny, red spots breaks out. It starts at the head and spreads to the rest of the body. The most common complications are ear infection and diarrhea .

According to the board certified physician, currently measles outbreak also likely began with a traveler who got measles overseas and then visited the parks while he or she was contagious, spreading the disease to others people.

Measles is highly contagious and spreads through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes to another person.

According to SHS nurse Ms. Sarah Vaughan, the measles rates have been increasing, but there are no students who have measles at SHS.

According to Vaughan, measles can be serious for young children.

“It is important that parents should understand that a measles-mumps-rubella vaccine (MMR) is the best way to protect their child from measles,” Vaughan said. “Vaccinations are really safe, and they really work for children.”

Before there was a vaccine, nearly everyone in the US became infected with measles before the age of 15, according to the board certified physician.

Vaughan says that it is recommended for children to get the MMR vaccine because it will provide the children with a safe, effective and long-lasting protection against all strains of measles.