Fall Intersession to prepare students for test

The Fall Intersession will once again be held from Oct. 12 to Oct. 15 from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for a limited number of students only. Counselors sent out invitation letters last week to students who sign up, and they are due to the main office by Friday, Oct. 2. It is offered for students who need to retake the Algebra 1 End of Course assessments (ECA) and/or the English 10 ECA. Students who took the ECA at least once and did not pass were invited. Transportation from SHS will not be provided; students must have their own ride. Snacks will be provided in the cafeteria at 10:30 a.m.

These two ECA tests are required for graduation. Boone stated that intersession is not the only resource for assisting students in preparing for the assessments, but students should also focus on the classroom instructions from teachers especially when they are taught how to think and problem-solve. She strongly encourages students to attend because the session focuses on test-taking strategies.

“Students who attend say they feel more prepared for the tests (ECA and SAT),” assistant principal Mrs. Amy Boone write in an email to the Journal. “The sessions are very focused only on test preparation and test taking strategies.”

There is also a Prep Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT) session for current sophomores and juniors who have passed both ECA tests. If freshmen or seniors are interested in the PSAT session, they can receive more information on how to sign-up at the main office. The PSAT will be available to all sophomores and any junior who sign up the Wednesday after Fall Break . These sessions are a way to prepare for the upcoming tests that will occur a week after getting back from Fall Break.