Senior takes future in a different direction

Logan Flake, Reporter

The first position change that senior Eli Walton underwent was one from being a power forward to a small forward in basketball. Looking onwards, Walton looks to make a more drastic and permanent change from small forward to a cornerback in football.

Walton, though he has played basketball most of his life, has decided to pursue a college career in football instead after his experiences with football in high school.

Walton says that he made this decision because football provides a brighter future for him moving forward.

“Even though I played basketball all my life, the first two years that I played football in my high school career, I ended up having more opportunities in football than I have in basketball,” Walton said.

Last year alone, Walton amassed 52 solo tackles (the third highest amount on the team) and 64 total tackles in 11 games played for the varsity football team.

Defensive coordinator Brandon Winters says Walton’s decision doesn’t shock him and that Walton’s pursuit of football makes sense.

As far as college, I’m not surprised at all because he’s got some skills and some height… that those guys (colleges) really are looking for,” Winters said. “He’s got an opportunity to go get his college potentially paid for.”

As far as college offers are concerned, Walton says he currently has offers from 6 division one schools, including Ball State.