Girls soccer loses in OT to rival Perry Meridian

Senior+Erin+Sullivan+defends+the+ball+while+going+towards+the+opposite+goal.+Sullivan+is+one+of+the+leading+scorers+this+season.+
Senior Erin Sullivan defends the ball while going towards the opposite goal. Sullivan is one of the leading scorers this season.

Madelyn Knight

Madelyn Knight

Michael Long, Sports editor

The SHS girls varsity soccer team has been on a three game winning streak. Their season started with the best in school history, (3-0) and blowout wins like 6-0 and 10-0. Despite these big wins, their matchup against crosstown rival Perry Meridian didn’t go down the way the previous games had.

SHS led most of the game with a single goal from Tha Sung. Then Perry tied it up with a goal in the second half, ultimately sending the game into overtime.

In OT, Perry scored a goal late in the first half of OT and SHS went scoreless, causing SHS to lose the game 2-1 in OT. However, SHS junior Emily Chambers says that this loss won’t affect the momentum of the team.

“I think this could be the thing we need to take us to the next level,” Chambers said. “…Good teams learn from adversity so we’re going to take this and learn from it and do better next time.”

Coach Dan McLaughlin also agrees that this loss is just another learning opportunity.

“I think it’s just a little bit of a growing pain and we’ll just take it from here and grow from it,” McLaughlin said.

About the Writer
Michael Long, Sports editor

So, I don't know what you're doing in the staff section of The Journal Rewired. Nor do I know what you're doing reading my bio. You should be reading all...