Diverse Booster Club strives to unite

Juniors+Dallas+Matlock+%28left%29+and+Josh+Thang+%28middle%29+listen+as+junior+Scott+Rippy+%28far+right%29+announces+the+senior+athlete+during+the+pep+session+on+April+7.+

Madeline Steward

Juniors Dallas Matlock (left) and Josh Thang (middle) listen as junior Scott Rippy (far right) announces the senior athlete during the pep session on April 7.

Alyssa Clark, Reporter

As Booster Club member junior Josh Campbell was reading off the names of the spring sports’ seniors at SHS’s last pep session, he noticed his hand starting to grow shaky. Standing beside him was junior Seejay Patel, who was worried about time management along with whether the other officers will remember their lines.

“It was really nerve-racking because there were at least 1,500 kids there, and I knew if I screwed up, I would probably get roasted for it,” Campbell said. “But I think I did well.”

With the addition of new juniors such as Campbell and Patel, there’s one thing new to this year’s Booster Club, and that is the mix of different races with Patel being half Indian and half black, junior Dallas Matlock being half white and half black and junior Josh Thang, who is Burmese. The other three juniors Scott Rippy, Emily Chambers and Campbell are white.

The class of 2018 Booster Club members take pride in their diversity, in hopes of attracting a wide range of students.

Although Thang is the first Burmese to be in Booster Club, he says that he doesn’t feel any extra pressure. He just hopes to inspire more Burmese students to try out for the Booster Club because he wants to see SHS students to unite together for their school, despite their race.

“I feel like I have the power to get (the Burmese community) more involved,” Thang said.

Science teacher and co-Booster Club sponsor Stacey Matlock agrees with Thang andsays that even though they are all from different social groups, all of the members work really well together.

“I think the personalities are all different, and they have a different group of friends, yet they’re all still friends,” Matlock said.

Matlock also says that even though they have just chosen the members a few weeks ago, they are doing really well. She believes that everyone is stepping up and working together.

According to Matlock, the most challenging time for Booster Club is during the fall when they are expected to be there for football games, homecoming, tailgates and much more.

“They’re getting their feet wet to see the responsibility,” Matlock said.

According to Thang and Campbell, the class of 2017’s Booster Club has been very helpful in preparing them understand their responsibilities.

For example, current Booster Club president Jared Stanley helped them paint the rock at Perry Meridian while senior Michael Phillips gave them a lesson on Twitter beef.

“They helped us knowing we have to take on a big role,” Campbell said.