‘Black Panther’ paves the way for racial equality in cinema

Alyssa Clark

A “Black Panther” poster displayed outside of Showplace 17.

Madison Gomez, Reporter

Coming out Feb. 16, 2018, the movie and superhero featured topped the previous best seller on President’s Day weekend, “Deadpool” from 2016, by nearly $100 million. Digging through the shelves of a comic store, the superhero movie that accomplished breaking the box office record featured a character that was not as well-known as Spider-Man or Iron Man, it was Black Panther with his self-titled movie.

Sophomore Giovani Buchanan, who is mixed with White and Mexican, says that “Black Panther” proved to be good, but not that good. It had strong and weak points, but overall, Buchanan feels that he would not go watch it again.

“You need previous context to understand what’s going on, it helps to enjoy it more,” Buchanan said.

Seeing African-American culture mixed into the fantasy setting, specifically the style of the streets in the movie, proved to be a good spin on the culture according to Buchanan. Senior African-American Mariah Harris also saw the movie in theaters. Even though not all response to the movie has been positive, Harris has seen some rude things floating around on Twitter.

Harris has not been to a movie theater in about eight years, so seeing “Black Panther” was an experience. She felt obligated to see the movie to be able to “support her people.”

“I went to go watch it with my little brother, and I feel that was important for him because he doesn’t grow up with that type of stuff really, like super heroes or role models that are of our race,” Harris said.  

Since the movie was so successful though, Harris hopes that this can pave the way for more movies with leads of different races, such as Hispanic or Asian.