SHS swim team looks forward to next season

Junior+Noah+Fishel+swims+in+a+meet+against+Greenwood+High+School+on+Jan.+9.+

Madelyn Knight

Junior Noah Fishel swims in a meet against Greenwood High School on Jan. 9.

Michael Hood, Reporter

The SHS boys swimming team’s season came to a close on Feb. 17 with a fifth-place finish in sectionals at Franklin Community High School. This caps off a season where the Cards finished with a regular-season record of 11-1 and broke two school records that have stood for over 20 years. Their only loss, being a close meet against  Whiteland, by only five points.

“In sectionals we did really well,” said junior Drew Reinke. “We broke two long-standing records. The one I broke stood for 29 years…it was pretty exciting.”

At the sectional meet at Franklin Community High School, the Cards broke two school records that were decades old. One was a team record, the 200-yard freestyle relay. The other was the individual 200-yard freestyle race record broken by Reinke.

“We had a really great season,” said Reinke. “I’m really looking forward to next season. We are getting a lot of our good swimmers back for next year.”

Reinke and the rest of the Cards now look forward to next season. They are hoping to capitalize on the success of the previous season.

“Next season is going to be a blast,”  junior Noah Fishel said. ”We are getting most of our guys back for next year and adding some talent as well. We should win a lot again which is always fun.”

The Cards look at getting back everyone that broke the 41-year standing relay record for next season. They, as well, look on improving the team with various lower classmen coming through the pipeline. 

“(The) season definitely had its highs,” said Reinke. “Next year I think we can do better.”

The Cards have a long off-season in front of them hindering their goals of improvement. They have to wait another nine months before the start of next season with summer break coming in between.

“It’s important to stay in shape,”  Reinke said. “(We) gotta get in the weight room over the off-season (to get) get bigger, stronger (and) faster so next year we can dominate.”