Filed under Entertainment, Showcase

A spooky tradition

SHS advanced orchestra performs 14th annual Halloween concert

Senior Abby Dunn plays the violin in the SHS Halloween concert dressed as the antagonist in the recently released movie,

Kelsey Jones

Senior Abby Dunn plays the violin in the SHS Halloween concert dressed as the antagonist in the recently released movie, "The Nun" on Oct. 25.

For the last 14 years, the advanced orchestra has carried on with a tradition that has allowed students to get into the Halloween spirit as they put on their annual fall concert. For the seniors, this is their last chance to participate in this tradition.

Senior Mckaila Godwin and fellow senior Priscilla Garcia mentioned how they felt as if their performance was going to go really well, due to being prepared well by SHS orchestra conductor, Thomas Wright. According to Godwin, she was feeling quite emotional before the performance, due to it being their last one.

“It hasn’t really hit me yet,” Godwin said. “It’s definitely kind of emotional thinking that it’s going to be over, since I’ve been doing it since 6th grade.”

The key aspects to this tradition that Godwin will be missing are that each student gets to dress up in a costume of their choice while they perform a variety of Halloween songs.

“(The tradition) started before I became a teacher here,” Wright said. “We have an actual folder of just Halloween music, and the kids get to pick from that and put together the concert. And of course, the costuming is a big part of the whole thing.”

When it comes to the costumes, the students dress up as their own unique, recognizable character, or combine their ideas in order to have allow their costumes to correlate with each other.

Senior Jordan Cox had been planning out her costume since last year. She and her friend had planned to do it the year prior, but she ended up saving it for her senior year. So, her and a few other friends dressed up as the Scooby Doo characters.

“I’m so sad” Cox said. “I love the Halloween concert just because I love Halloween and I love dressing up.”

Kelsey Jones
Senior Abby Dunn plays the violin in the SHS Halloween concert dressed as the antagonist in the recently released movie, “The Nun” on Oct. 25.

Meet The Writer:
Shelby Denny, Reporter

Hey, I’m Shelby, a sophomore at SHS and an entertainment writer for The Journal. This year I am excited to become more involved in school activities,...