Are you smarter than a Cardinal?

Almost every Friday, English teacher Erin Ancelet’s room 106 is filled with students who are interested in world knowledge and enjoy competing. These students created a team called White River Academic League and they  compete in Brain Games.

Brain games is a competition, in which schools go against another school answering questions varying in categories such as math, English, science, literature or history.

“I think the important thing is that we have a lot of people with diversity,” Ancelet said. “Everybody on the team has their subject that they try to master.”  

At SHS it all happens under supervision of English teachers Ancelet, Brianne Osburn and Brian Auger.

The team currently has 12 members, but anyone who is interested in wanting to gain knowledge in many subjects can join.

Playing brain games involves working together as a team, learning about the world, quick thinking and also a little bit of competitiveness. According to sophomore Jayden Spencer, most of the other teams that they compete with are a lot of fun, but there’s a sense of seriousness because it’s a competition.

Junior David Masengale, who is a current captain of the team, joined  as a freshman because he wanted to be a part of a team and thought it would be great way to get involved.  

“I have friends I can go to talk with about intellectual things and not just mindless nonsense.” Masengale said.