Early bird

Cardinal flies off to college to pursue football and academic career

Back to Article
Back to Article

Early bird

Senior quarterback Eddie Schott prepares to throw the ball to senior receiver Rashawn Haskins, ending in a touchdown for the Cardinals on Friday, Aug. 31.

Madelyn Knight

Madelyn Knight

Madelyn Knight

After leaving his fifth period class on Dec. 20, senior Eddie Schott walked out of SHS, but unlike other students, Schott would not be returning after winter break as a SHS Cardinal. Instead, he would be attending college as a Ball State University Cardinal.

“It was pretty weird kind of leaving those doors for the last time,” Schott said.

Schott, who was a varsity quarterback, graduated a semester early in order to get a head start on his college and football career.

“(College is) a lot more intense than high school,” Schott said. “Like everything’s just at a higher level.”

To graduate early, Schott and his parents sat down and talked with his counselor to make sure he was taking the right classes to get the remaining credits he needed to graduate. In the end, it all worked out for Schott, who left for college months ahead of his peers and friends.

During his three seasons with SHS, Schott led the team to three winning seasons and had 78 passing touchdowns. On the first game of the 2018 season, he threw a 99-yard touchdown to senior Lucas Willoughby against Roncalli, breaking the school record for longest touchdown pass. This success caught the eyes of many colleges and scouts including Yale, Cornell, Eastern Michigan and Eastern Kentucky.

According to Schott’s mother, Molly Schott, playing college football has been a dream of his since he was 5 years old. That dream came true when Schott accepted a scholarship to play Division I football at Ball State University in Muncie.

“This is a big deal,” Schott’s mother said. “He’s going to be playing Division I football.”

Since football season ended before the semester did, Schott has only been able to lift weights, condition and eat with the football team at Ball State. The team lifts four times a week and conditions three times a week. According to Schott, the workouts and atmosphere at Ball State are way more intense and at a higher level. The college football program is much more organized and serious compared to high school. However, Schott says he welcomes this change.

“I’m looking forward to playing against players at the next level,” Schott said.

According to Schott, every collegiate football player shares the same background of working harder than others, being successful and having the same goals in mind: winning championships.

“College is definitely very humbling because everyone on the team was the best player on their team in high school,” Schott said.

Schott’s mother feels that the coaches at Ball State have tried to create a level playing field for all the players. Because of this, she thinks Schott has been able to stay humble and get adjusted to this new mindset.

One change that took some getting used to for Schott was his new jersey number. He was allowed three requests for what his jersey number would be for Ball State. He was given his third choice: 19. This is the same number he wore when he first played padded football in third grade. Eddie repped the number 14 at SHS for four years, but has started warming up to the number 19 according to Molly.

Schott says that the biggest difference between high school and college is living in the same area where you go to classes, eat and hang out. He is currently majoring in sports administration. However, he is only taking intro classes at the moment and says the work hasn’t gotten too difficult yet.

“He seems like he’s doing really well,” his mother said. “He’s really happy. He likes it a lot. He likes the school part of it and the football part of it.”

Schott’s mother says she’ll always miss attending his high school games, but that she can’t wait to be there to watch him develop in college.

While Schott is eager to play at the next level, there is somethi

Photo contributed by Eddie Schott
Eddie Schott stands in front of his football locker at Ball State University on Jan. 19.

ng about high school he feels he’ll always miss.

“The Friday night lights,” Schott said. “There’s nothing else like that environment.”

Meet The Writer:
Russell Peterson-Womack, Reporter

Hey, I’m Russell Peterson-Womack. I am a junior this year and a sports writer. This is my first year being a part of The Journal staff. Other than being...