Confidence takes courage

Sophomore discovers a part of himself that he has learned to be proud of

Photo contributed by Carter Covington

Sophomore Carter Covington and his mother, Amy Lee, are posing for a selfie. Lee says that she takes pride in Covington and his bravery.

When introduced to an anime called “Fairy Tail” in middle school, sophomore Carter Covington wasn’t just attracted to the female characters, he realized he was also into the male characters.

Discovering that he is attracted to both males and females, Covington realized that the acceptance of his sexuality would allow him to become a more confident person. 

Covington’s mother, Amy Lee, says that raising a child can come with unexpected turns, but at the end of the day, love is what matters most.

“Love can help them understand who they are,” Lee said.

Feeling very anxious, he came out to his friends as bisexual in seventh grade, and received a lot of support from them, giving him a boost in confidence.

He also came out to his parents and siblings, but this happened around the start of eighth grade. At this time, Covington had his first boyfriend. He says that he was in love with him.

“That was my first experience of love outside of my family,” Covington said.

He was constantly giddy and his parents could tell that something was going on. They were sitting at a family dinner and Covington came out as bisexual to them. 

Covington says that he was grateful for their acceptance and realizes that not every child receives this. This is a reason he is confident till this day, knowing his parents and friends are there for him.

“Oftentimes, parents feel like they have to protect themselves or keep up a good image and so they turn their back on their kids,” Lee said. “I think that’s the worst thing a parent can do.”

Bullying had occurred after he first came out, but Covington told Decatur middle school and they helped him solve the issue. After eighth grade, the bullying stopped and his confidence increased.

He moved from Decatur to SHS last summer.

Luckily, Covington’s mom knew math teacher Timothy Case, the sponsor for the Pride Alliance Club at SHS, through the church. Lee was told about the club and Covington started to look forward to becoming a part of it.

He has been a member since he moved and he made a friend despite the lack of members and meetings. Case appreciates the participation in the club meetings.

“He’s always been very outgoing and talkative,” Case said, knowing it is because of Covington’s confidence.

Lee is the Head Pastor at Rosedale Hills United Methodist Church, while Case is a part-time Associate Pastor.

Religion has not made Lee or Case treat people in the LGBTQ+ community differently. In fact, both are supportive and understanding, a trait Covington appreciates.

Case wants students to know that there are churches out there that are welcoming to the community.

Covington is reminded daily that he is surrounded by supportive friends and family. He knows that they have supported him on his journey and will continue doing so in the future.

“It’s just nice to know that I can talk to them with a lot of stuff that’s on my mind,” Covington said.