Swing for the fences

Standout freshman breaks through by earning a starting spot on varsity

Josiah Veen

Freshman Nick Godsey throws the ball to first base in order to secure an out on April 21 at Holder Field. The Cards beat New Palestine 4-3.

For the next four years, the Cards baseball team will have a familiar face at shortstop. Freshman Nick Godsey is the first freshman in five years to start at shortstop, according to Maxpreps.
Godsey plays shortstop for the SHS Cards and has a fielding percentage of 0.909. It is expected that the hardest workers must continue their efforts in order to maintain their starting spot on varsity. But for Godsey, he must work the hardest, as he is the only freshman.
“I am smaller so you have to work harder, because they are a lot bigger at 18,” Godsey said.
The last freshman to play on the varsity team was five years ago, so the opportunity is not a common one. But Godsey plans to make the most of it. He is doing this by being not only a good teammate, but supporting and lifting up others.
“Nick is always encouraging all of us,” sophomore Bryce Calvert said. “He is a freshman, so it is cool to see him get this type of opportunity and make the most out of it.”
The shortstop is one of the leaders on the infield and has to take charge while communicating with teammates. Godsey is seen as a leader on the field and a leader on the team.
“He plays a pretty big role. He is always the guy to be around when you are down,” Calvert said. “He is going to pick you back up. He is just doing really well right now.”
Being a freshman on varsity is a challenge but can also give good learning opportunities, not only to himself, but to the rest of the team. Godsey has sophomores, juniors and seniors to look up to while competing and practicing.
“As a freshman, it is really hard to come into a group of kids older than you and feel that you belong,” head coach Brendan Dudas said. “Nick has really gotten more comfortable around everybody. He has been able to get comfortable on the field. We really have seen him grow into himself as a player.”
The upperclassmen also have to respect that he has earned his way to his spot and help him in any way they can.
“He is making us grow with having a freshman,” senior Mitchell Unversaw said. “Having to respect him as much as we respect everybody else.”
Godsey has struggled a bit offensively. He’s hitting .136, but he’s scored four runs and has five RBIs. Defensively, he leads the team in double plays.
“He is really a solid part of our team,” Unversaw said.
Leading on a team that you have been a part of for only a few months is a struggle because of the upperclassmen having to acclimate to a freshman. But Godsey has stepped up to the plate. He has shown that he belongs on the team and belongs in the starting lineup.
“He is one of our leaders as a shortstop,” Dudas said. “He got our first win on the mound as a pitcher. So as the season progresses, he is a guy that most of our guys will look to in big moments to kind of be a rock on the team and keep an even demeanor.”