Q&A with Alexander McCool

Josiah Veen

Math teacher Alexander McCool sits at his desk after a lesson on Thursday, Oct. 27. Shortly after, he talked with a student.

All the way from Brooklyn, IN and after growing up on a farm, McCool decided to push himself by enrolling at Marian University. There, he would graduate with both a math and secondary education degree, as well as playing baseball. Once his academic journey ended, McCool officially became a math teacher and worked at several high schools before arriving at SHS.

How would you describe your very first day at SHS?

What could be a good word? Chaotic a little bit. This school is a lot bigger than I am used to. The school I have taught only had 350 kids in it and then switching from that to 2400 kids was a lot. So, it was very busy, but it has been good now that I have got used to the size of school and the routines. First couple of days were kind of crazy, chaotic, but it’s been really good.

Is your current job something that you have always been interested in? If not, what would you say were your biggest goals when you were younger?

I always wanted to be a coach, so I started to teach around so I could be a coach. I have coached both softball and basketball before. I don’t coach anything here right now, but that was my whole goal previously was to be a varsity coach and I did that in the last couple of schools I’ve been at. That was one the first main goals to be a varsity head-coach.

What are your main goals for the school year with your students and in the school overall? 

My goal with my students is to get them to understand math. It is usually a subject kids don’t enjoy most of the time so try to get it enjoyable and get them to understand the reasons why they need it in life. Hopefully I can achieve this.

What is a regular work day like for you?

Wake up in the morning at 5:45, eat breakfast and then drive those 20 minutes to work. I usually start with algebra class or geometry, just go from there and help my students in class and teach them the content. Pretty much the same as a student but just with some more responsibilities.

Have you had any accomplishments in the school in general or with students so far?

One of the other challenges in this school compared to my last school was a lot of different languages and certain students that don’t speak English, and I feel that I have made some progress with those students. Breaking the language barrier a bit better and getting them to understand the material in another language, which has been fun.

What would you say is the best thing that SHS has taught you so far?

Change could be a good thing. I have learned a lot from changing and getting out of your routine. Just trying new things could be a good thing and that is one thing I have learned from Southport.