Out of the ordinary costumes for this year’s spring play

Hugo Oskarsson, Reporter

“My costume was the first thing that came to mind,” junior Nick May said about his reaction to being cast as the caterpillar in this year’s spring play, “Alice in Wonderland.”

The story of Alice’s journey through her own fantasy land is famous for its unique characters. And while the costumes may look like a fantasy, they will be completely real in this year’s production.

May’s costume, made to look like a caterpillar, is long, blue, and filled with fake arms connected to his real arms, moving along with his own movements.

“I envisioned a costume a lot less maneuverable, so that’s good,” May said.

But May’s costume is only one in an arsenal of unique costumes being worn in this production.

Freshman Emma Wiese is playing one of the oysters and she is really excited for her costume, two shell-shaped sand boxes put together and painted to look like oyster shells, looking just like she had imagined.

Sophomore Dylan Shaffer, playing the role of Humpty Dumpty, will be wearing an egg-shaped costume on top of an eight foot tall wall, with fake legs dangling along the side.

“My costume looks nothing how I had envisioned,” Shaffer said. “I tried on a couple before, actually, but some just didn’t work out.”

Shaffer will be stationed on the wall before coming onstage, which he is nervous about, but according to him it’ll build up his confidence. May will also be rolled out on stage, on top of a giant mushroom.

“Alice in Wonderland” will be showing March 5-7 in the SHS auditorium, and while the cast is getting ready for an intense production week, they are full of anticipation for wearing their costumes. Shaffer and Wiese are ready to embrace their costumes, and May is also really excited to wear his costume on stage.

While everyone is excited for their parts in the play, initial reactions to their castings varied. While Wiese said she immediately thought to herself that wearing an oyster costume was going to be fun, Shaffer wasn’t as sure.

“At first I was extremely hesitant,” he said. “I was sure I’d feel uncomfortable.”

But in the end, they’re all happy with their roles. Shaffer says he started looking at it from a different perspective and now sees it as a way to show his theater teacher that he won’t let her down. “I looked at it as a personal challenge to play my part with confidence,” he said.