The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

A win worth the wait

SHS football wins Homecoming game and scores their first victory in over two years
The Cards run onto the field before the start of the Homecoming game on Sept. 29. The team went on to score seven points in the first quarter. (Darcy Leber)

Cardinal Stadium was electric as the Cards won their first football game in over two years on Friday, Sept. 29.

In a game that meant “everything” to players and coaches alike, the team came together to blowout the Terre Haute North Patriots 43-7 on Homecoming weekend.

“It was a gritty team win,” senior and team captain Carter Hartman said. “We love to see it. This is the outcome we’ve been waiting for.”

The game got off on the right foot for SHS when junior Fabian Tapscott punted the ball to the 5-yard line. The Patriots then fumbled the ball and junior Charles Hansell recovered it for a touchdown.

Tapscott was a key part in getting the momentum on the Cards’ side for the night, making several key plays in addition to this kick. His motivation to make these plays comes from the desire to better the team as a whole.

“I was playing for my boys … ,” Tapscott said. “Everything I do is for them.”

With the extra point by junior Gerson Torres, the Cards were up 7-0 at the end of the first quarter.

During the second quarter, the Cards scored another touchdown, this time after the ball flew right through the hands of the Patriots. And, after a successful 2-point conversion, the Cards were up 15-0 at halftime.

Building off their strong first half showing, the Cards scored 21 points in the third quarter, two running and one interception by Tapscott, leaving the Cards up 35-0 with one quarter left.

The fourth quarter saw the final Cardinal and first Patriot touchdown of the night, ending the game with a sound 43-7 victory for SHS.

For senior and team captain Bryce Calvert, who was crowned Homecoming King during halftime, this game meant the world. Due to an injured knee, he is out for the season, but seeing his team claim the victory was monumental.

“It means a lot … ,” Calvert said.  “Sticking it out no matter what and then to see it all come to play tonight is just a ball of emotions, a ball of happiness.”

Head coach Alex Bettag had a similar reaction to the win.

He couldn’t be more proud of his players, who have stuck with the sport through highs and lows,  and says that the win is “all on them.”

“They’re a bunch of great young men that have stuck it out,” Bettag said. “They’ve listened. They’ve done what we have asked them to do. They had a great week of preparation. They knew the game plan inside and out, and they executed tonight.”

A player talks to Coach Jake Harrell to prepare for the next play. By halftime, these plays had put the Cards up 15-0. (Darcy Leber)

Although this game is a huge win for the Cards, nothing in their preparation will change. 

They’ll continue to trust the process and focus on practicing for their game against Terre Haute South High School next Friday.

“We’re moving on … ,” Hartman said. “This feels great, but it’s on to Terre Haute South.”