My Turn(er)

‘You don’t have to be sorry for leaving and growing up’
My+Turn%28er%29

Since we hit the second semester, something has felt off. I’ve spent the last 18 weeks denying that I was going to graduate and head off to college, but something about having my last winter break and starting my last semester of high school flipped the switch in my mind.

I’m beyond excited for college, but there is definitely a part of me that is sad to leave high school. I’ve been in school with the same people essentially for the past 12 years and walking across the stage will be a final goodbye to everyone before we’re sent off into the rest of the world. Growing up is a weird feeling, and I’m still getting used to it.
The lyric I chose for this issue is one from the song “Matilda” by Harry Styles, a song about having a chosen family and the feeling of belonging. I felt like it applied as I continue to get ready to move on from high school. Styles said, “You don’t have to be sorry for leaving and growing up.”

I’ve spent all year denying the fact that I would have to graduate and leave the people and classrooms I’ve known for a significant amount of time and feeling sorry about having to leave and grow up. When I officially accepted my offer of admission for college, my mindset changed entirely. It was real now. For years, I had been preparing and planning for college. I wrote an endless amount of essay

s, but once I hit the “confirm enrollment” button, something changed. It felt final. The goal I had been working towards for the past four years was on its way to being over.

However, I still have a semester left, and I don’t plan on dropping the ball anytime soon. Lacrosse season is about to start, and I couldn’t be more excited. Coach Rachel Frantz convinced me to join last year, and I’m so glad she did. I’ve played softball and volleyball before, but lacrosse is a new sport that I get to learn and I’ve had so much fun. I am excited though. This summer is going to be full of travel and getting ready to move an hour away from home. Am I nervous about having to meet new people and make new friends? Of course I am. But, as Styles put it, I don’t need to be sorry for growing up.

Ultimately, I’m excited to graduate and explore what’s out there for me past the halls of SHS. Ready? Not quite, but I can finally say that I’ve accepted that I have to leave and I’m okay with it. I’m excited to finish this year strong with great classmates and fellow staffers to produce some amazing work. Frantz convinced me to join last year, and I’m so glad she did. I’ve played softball and volleyball before, but lacrosse is a new sport that I get to learn and I’ve had so much fun.

I am excited though. This summer is going to be full of travel and getting ready to move an hour away from home. Am I nervous about having to meet new people and make new friends? Of course I am. But, as Styles put it, I don’t need to feel sorry for growing up. Ultimately, I’m excited to graduate and explore what’s out there for me past the halls of SHS. Ready? Not quite, but I can finally say that I’ve accepted that I have to leave and I’m okay with it. I’m excited to finish this year strong with great classmates and fellow staffers to produce some amazing work.