Wrapping up the year

A gift giving guide for the holiday season
art by Alyssa Cook

The long wait for the holidays is finally over. It’s time for the smell of peppermint to waft through the air and for green and red decor to hang everywhere. 

But most importantly, it’s time to purchase gifts for your loved ones. Finding the perfect gift can sometimes become a difficult task. The rush of the holidays can make gift-giving harder and cause you to get stressed out. But with just a few tips, you can find the perfect gift guaranteed to fill your loved one with joy. 

Experiences over objects

The standard norm is that a gift must be a material object, but that isn’t necessarily true. One of the best things you can get your loved one for the holidays is an experience. Ask yourself if your loved one has mentioned interest in any adventure. This could be a concert of their favorite artist or a trip they are interested in; instead of spending money on an object that your loved one may or may not like, get them an experience that can allow them to create new joy-filled memories. 

Know your recipient  

Before you even think about buying a gift for your loved one

1. Learn everything there is to know about this person.
  2. Learn things such as their favorite color, hobbies, etc.
  3. Ask some of their other friends or family members about this person’s personality traits.

For example, if you know that your best friend loves purple and being comfortable, you consider getting her a cozy purple blanket or sweater. With a bit of sleuthing and research you can understand your loved one to find the perfect gift for them. 

Choose a theme

One of the best gifts you can get your loved one starts with choosing a theme. Find an area of interest that your loved one has and turn it into a personalized basket or bag. For instance, if you have a friend that loves to watch movies then you can create a movie basket filled with must-have items for a movie night. The basket can include items such as popcorn, this person’s favorite movie theater candy and a cozy blanket perfect to snuggle up with while watching a movie. This is a perfect gift to get because you can personalize to fit any taste.

Look at the past

One of the best ways to get a present that your loved one will appreciate is by looking at their past. This person may have a certificate, photo or paper with sentimental meaning. Whatever it is, you can do something to elevate their sentimental item. For example, if this person has a certificate for one of their greatest achievements, you can get it framed for them. It’s an effortless gift but it gives your loved one something they can cherish for the rest of their life.