The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

MSA members gathered for a group photo after their hangout at the park where they played volleyball together on March.25. Photo contributed by MSA

Unity in diversity

A snapshot of community togetherness through MSA and BSU.

The creation of two new student associations at SHS has left nothing but comfort and contentment to the students who decide to call these associations their families. 

Black Student Union (BSU) and The Myanmar Student Association (MSA) both hoped that they could reach a large enough population of students so that the creation of these associations could help struggling students find a place that they could call home within the walls of SHS. 

“ … (We want) to continue having this every year,” MSA President and senior Eli Ni Pa said. “As the years progress (we want) to have even bigger opportunities.” 

Now, BSU has been established for about six months, and MSA has been established for almost two months, both have made significant strides in making their goals and dreams for their associations come true.

To make their ideas for the association a reality, BSU has started to plan a movie night that will educate students about important moments in black history. 

Though this idea is still in the works, the group already knows that the outcomes of this movie night will help bring everyone in BSU together. 

It’s really to bring us together.

— BSU President and senior Rihanna Fields

By watching potential movies like “The Hate You Give” and “The Help,” the group believes that the issues highlighted in these movies are something that a lot of people will be able to relate to. 

“These movies can potentially help BSU because they relate to us and what we’re doing … ” BSU President and senior Rihanna Fields said. “It’s really to bring us together.” 

Similarly, MSA has held similar events to help bring students close together. Having over 80 members, the association has been divided into four groups. Each group is assigned a member’s house where they can go to engage in activities with other members of their groups. 

“Within each house, we had fellowship, and hangouts so (members) could get to know each other,” Ni Psa said. 

Beyond this, MSA also held Volleyball tournaments and Bamboo dance practices over spring break so members could continue to know each other. 

Both MSA and BSU continue to grow under the influence of hopeful members, students, and sponsors. Though there are many hardships in creating associations, BSU and MSA show more excitement than anything else for the future of their groups. 

For BSU this excitement lies in the plans of creating BSU sweatshirts and planning field trips that members can learn from. But also they still hope they continue to grow, which aligns with MSA’s goals for the future. 

“I hope BSU grows,” junior Devyon Green said. “I hope we get more attention from the school.”

As these associations achieve their dreams their bonds grow stronger and SHS grows to become more of a home where culture, spirit and family radiate.

To read our most recent stories on MSA and BSU, click the links below !

Inclusivity in action

Celebrating culture

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Simran Baidwan
Simran Baidwan, Culture Reporter
Hi! My name is Simran Baidwan, and I am a sophomore this year at SHS. This is my first year on The Journal, and I am a writer for Culture. I took the full-year Journalism course my freshman year, and I decided that joining The Journal would be a great fit for me. Some things to know about me are that I am Punjabi. Quick side note: My parents were born in a northern state in India called Punjab, so I am Punjabi, and the religion I practice is Sikhism. Other things about me are that I love to travel. So far, I have traveled to Canada, India, and England. I have also been to various places in the U.S. Over the last year, I have developed a love for reading. My favorite genres include fiction and true crime. If I’m not reading, then you can probably find me watching TV. One of my all-time favorite shows is “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.”  I also love music. It is part of my everyday life from playing the violin, learning to play the piano or just listening to music. I’m so excited to be on staff, and I can’t wait to see what The Journal brings this year!

Comments (1)

All The Journal Rewired Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• L

Lucy HillerApr 30, 2024 at 9:06 am

Simran, you did such a fantastic job of sharing about MSA and BSU. You made sure that both organizations were highlighted and did such a great job transitioning between talking about each one! This was such an enjoyable read!

Reply