Hallway hooligans prove to be hazardous

Congested walkways lead to third-degree burns and punishment

A+student+is+caught+trying+to+tank+her+way+through+a+crowd+of+students+blocking+the+main+hallway.++This+is+a+daily+struggle+for+students.+

Madeline Steward

A student is caught trying to tank her way through a crowd of students blocking the main hallway. This is a daily struggle for students.

Destiny Bryant, Entertainment Editor

This just in, Mount Port High School has been named one of the most dangerous schools in the Northern United States. No, there was no gun violence or bombings, but instead a fire that had gotten out of control and cost the healthy, glowing skin of dozens of high schoolers.
According to principal Ryan Kight, the students and faculty take the right precautions once a month in their fire drills and he is not sure what went wrong with getting everyone out safely and unharmed this round. He says that there are plenty of exits for everyone to not have to bombard a few doors and get caught up inside the burning building.
A current student at Mount Port High School was later questioned by administration after the school board was told that there were numerous posts on her Snapchat story along with a Facebook live stream during the fire. She and several of her younger friends were caught being in the main hall clustering underneath the bridge to try to catch footage of the fire rather than evacuating the building. They were taken in for questioning.
After further investigation, there were so many dozens of students drawn to flame like moths, that the main hallway, which is a major artery of the school, was clogged, so to speak. While talking to a handful of students about the most recent tragedy of the 2017 year, an upperclassman was questioned about the dangerous barrier known as the main hallway.
“Getting through is nearly impossible,” senior Valerie Smith said. “It’s like trying to push through those tight balloon spaces that they have at haunted house, you know? I feel so claustrophobic.”
Without knowing the reason behind blocking the rest of the students from evacuating to safety the administration wasn’t very sure who to go to about the situation. Taking to the halls and looking for students who appeared in the posts on social media was their only hope. Freshman Kyler Stall was the first person to be questioned.
“The sight of the fire instantly gave me the thought, ‘Hmm, standing by and watching this fire might make school a little more bearable,’” Stall said.
With no real rush to get out of the burning school unharmed, Stall showed no remorse for putting the other students in danger. He says he feels as if he were doing them a favor.
“Third degree burns should be a solid reason for a few excused absences,” Stall said.
Kight says that there will be a penalty for the clogging of the main hallway. He says that students won’t be expelled, but they will have to take a mandatory hallway etiquette class during their lunch period. On the contrary, he feels as if the class will be disregarded and the students will continue to linger in the main hall instead.