Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Take the time to talk to people

Every person is just one big puzzle. Every piece of the human puzzle includes all of the different aspects of a person, such as their personality or their beliefs. There are so many pieces that sometimes we miss some of them. In order to not miss the pieces, we must take the time to get to know others.

Everyone should actually take the time and put in the effort to get to know others, especially before judging them.

Personally, I have learned some major life lessons about taking the time to get to know someone. One of my good friends is an example of someone that I met and allowed myself to see all the pieces of the puzzle I had missed before because I heard things about him that weren’t necessarily good things. But, I put those preconceived notions aside and let myself find out for myself what he was really like. I learned that some of my problems are nothing compared to what others go through. I learned things that I would’ve never guessed if I hadn’t taken the time to get to know him.

Everyone is different and not everyone is going to have the same experiences. We must be understanding and accepting of these differences. To be accepting doesn’t mean that one has to agree 100 percent with the other person. It means that you respect them and respect each other’s differences. We never know what someone else could possibly be going through, and that’s why we have to take a step back and venture out of our bubble to see things that we might not have originally noticed that shape that person.

Just because someone is not the same as you does not mean that they are any less than you. The people that are made fun of because they’re different, whether it be because of their looks or beliefs, are just trying to make it through their lives just the same as everyone else. They have plans for their future just the same as anyone else. They wonder what they’re having for dinner that night just the same as you. All differences are minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

All in all, I think it’s very important that everyone gets outside of their comfort zone and tries to interact and get to know someone that they wouldn’t normally talk to. I encourage everyone to talk to at least one person that they don’t really know that well and get to know them. Who knows, maybe the conversation could make their day and make them feel accepted, as well as lead them to a lifelong friendship. Just always remember to take the time.

Meet The Writer:
Yasmin McClellan, Foreign Language Editor

Hi, I’m Yasmin, an SHS senior and the Foreign Language Editor for The Journal. I play softball both for the school and a travel team. I also play the...