Journal Address

The Journal is one of the most beneficial groups at SHS

When we were coming up with ideas for this issue’s Journal Address, we immediately thought of topics outside of our school. From the senate confirming Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court to the newest award shows, the possibilities were endless.

Although these are monumental moments, we remembered our Adviser Mike Klopfenstein’s wise words: Focus in-school first. What a better time to do that than this issue that commemorates The Journal’s 100th year. Yes, this issue may seem biased because we all absolutely adore The Journal, but we’ve decided to dedicate this Journal Address to something quite untraditional: recruitment.

We believe that The Journal is one of the best groups you can join at SHS.

The Journal, which used to be called Perry News, has been around since 1923.

By looking at the old newspapers and magazines, the one thing that sticks out is the family-like atmosphere captured in the photos. The Journal itself is one of the most historic groups that has evolved with SHS, and the impact of it is still felt by each group of students that seize the opportunity to join.

From some of our more recent connections such as former Editor-in-Chief Madelyn Knight and former digital managing editor Lyndsay Valadez’s seven year friendship, to some older ones such as a newlywed couple that met on The Journal in 2014 (Sierra Sullivan and Cooper Davis), there’s always someone out there for everyone.

As a matter of fact, Klopfenstein met his wife at SHS when she was The Journal adviser. Now, today, he’s taken over her role and they have two adorable sons. The community-like environment that The Journal creates invites unforeseen relationships that last beyond high school.

Along with this, The Journal creates a sense of family outside of the classroom too. Everyone who joins The Journal usually starts as a reporter. This allows them to explore the SHS community

around them. They’ll be pushed to talk to people they wouldn’t normally talk to and create beneficial connections along the way.

It’s no wonder why we’ve incorporated a Journal Centennial page this year.

It goes to show how The Journal has paid off in the long run. We have Journal alumni who are reaching for the stars. There’s one that had her writing featured in The New York times, another who works for The Wall Street Journal and many others who’ve gone on to do incredible things.

Along with the success stories, The Journal is recognized state and nationwide with a total of six Hoosier Star awards and three Quill and Scroll awards.

Yes, we are very much boasting, but none of this would’ve been possible without years of work in progress. The Journal is such a special community that is ever-changing and diverse. It’s an honor to be able to say that we’ve made it to the 100th anniversary, and we know that there will be many more to come.

We also get nothing but support from Principal Brian Knight. He was even awarded Indiana Administrator of the Year back in January. Knight shares the same belief that The Journal is a beneficial group to join in high school.

“I think it’s just a positive publication,” Knight said. “I think The Journal does a really good job of representing the school and making sure that they’re looking for ways to shine Southport High School and our diversity.”

As we wrap up this school year, our only hope is that the SHS community joins us in this celebration of The Journal. And for next school year, we encourage students to step out of their comfort zone, try something new and fall in love with The Journal the way we did ourselves.