Writing the way to a better school

SHS welcomes a new literary magazine to students

Gretchen Turner

Trinity Wagner, Jay Brumley and Zack Tackett gather around a table to work on content for SHS’s new literary magazine on Sept. 14. The magazine staff met during iPass.

For the first time ever, SHS is producing a literature magazine that is run by SHS teachers and published poets, Matt Norris and Paige Wyatt.

Wyatt has decided to make the group to provide students with an outlet, and an opportunity, for their smothered creativity.

The currently unnamed magazine is going to function on almost 100% student decisions, ranging from the name of the magazine to which works of art should get published. 

The organization is being built from the ground up. Students are deciding on how the organization will be structured and what will be inside of it, making this time period the way to leave the most impact on the group.

“They’re so creative, and they’re so smart, and they’re so passionate about their writing and their music and their art and they don’t get a place to share that,” Norris said. 

The organization will use student submitted work in their publications; which will include drawings, photographs, poems, short stories, songs and other styles of literature and art.

“We wanted to give people here that space to show their creativity,” Norris said.

Anything submitted to the organization must fulfill a set list of requirements, which are yet to be determined. If they fail to meet these requirements, the work will not be accepted.

Submissions will be sent to Norris or Wyatt, who will anonymously print them for the organization’s editors who will read submissions and decide whether or not to publish them. 

As of now, there will be two editions this year, with inputs being open for about a semester for each edition. 

If the organization doesn’t receive enough submissions, the organization plans on opening them to the southside area. While still wanting to be centered on SHS, they want to make sure the magazine will last. So, regardless of how many submissions from the school they get, a base of content still needs to be built.

The magazine is looking for members, and meetings are planned on being held during iPass. Membership is open to whoever has interest, Grammar skills, previous skills and current grades aren’t considered. Norris and Wyatt are especially looking for “weird people” for the organization.

“Weird means creative, and that’s what I want,” Norris said.