The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

Investing in memories

More money should be invested into Homecoming
Investing in memories

Most can agree that homecoming last year wasn’t the best. Homecoming looked to be lazily done, and students didn’t get the bang for their buck. Which is unfair considering the school got plenty of bucks from the event.

New students had these expectations and hopes of what Homecoming at SHS was going to be, and was met with no apparent décor, a nearly empty football field and a lot of student detainments from the local police. 

This was exceptionally underwhelming in terms of a school dance. However this issue is a lost cause because it is curable.

The school needs to put more money and effort into Homecoming in the future. The school last year made $8,973  from homecoming ticket sales and Polaroid sales alone. And the total cost of last year’s Homecoming was $1,216.12. Leaving $7,756.88 that is left for student scholarships.

While funding student scholarships is great and shouldn’t be discredited, more money should be put towards the Homecoming atmosphere and experience. Since that is what the students are paying for and that is what is lacking. 

Students are buying tickets under the pretense that their money is going for an immersive engaging experience. They are not only giving the effort to look nice, they’re also putting in the time to plan elaborate proposals for dates.

The homecoming dance is a milestone for all high school students. It’s an opportunity for the school to engage with their student body and help create lasting memories for years to come. Students wish that this year the school will put more effort into this memorable event.