A ‘truly humbling’ opportunity

Indiana Secretary of Commerce reflects on his experience
photo contribued by Erin Sweitzer

From SHS to Indiana’s Secretary of Commerce, David Rosenberg has held many titles throughout his lifetime. At the beginning of his career, he held the title of Deputy Chief of Staff and Director of Enterprise Development for former Mayor Greg Ballard. 

But how did Rosenberg get there?

Rosenberg attended SHS where he graduated in 2004 and proceeded to attend IU Bloomington for seven years where he majored in political science and history. Throughout his time at IU, he learned many lessons that would help shape his career.

“One of my things is I would always join great leaders and great teams and it’s so important for someone who’s always doing the right things (for the right) reason and surrounding himself with really good folks,” Rosenberg said. 

Straight out of law school, Rosenberg had the opportunity to join Ballard. He started his position as Deputy Chief of Mayor in Ballard’s office. 

Throughout his time with Ballard, he learned many lessons and was offered many opportunities, such as multi-billion dollar projects.

“(It) was a really great experience. He had a great scheme, (the) first opportunity I had coming out of school I was able to learn a ton and get involved in multi-billion dollar projects,” Rosenberg said. 

After Ballard decided not to run for another term, Rosenberg began working alongside former Superintendent of Indianapolis Schools, Doctor Lewis Ferebee, as Operations Officer. 

They both worked side-by-side and were in charge of facilities, transportation and food service. Rosenberg gained a lot of experience working under Ferebee.

After Ferebee decided to take another job in Washington D.C., Rosenberg had the opportunity to rejoin the Indiana Economic Development Corporation. The development corporation is in charge of growing businesses and growing the state economy.  

He wanted to pick up where he left off and come back to where he started his career with economic and community development. 

In an article provided to The Journal, “David has been instrumental in guiding the IEDC team over the last two years, and I am confident in his ability to continue to lead the

Rosenburg was on homecoming court in 2001 during his sophomore year. After high school, he went to IU and worked to become Secretary of Commerce. photo contributed by Erin Sweitzer

strong team and Indiana’s extraordinary economic momentum,” Indiana Governor Eric Holcomb said, according to an Indiana Economic Development Corporation press release. 

Governor Holcomb saw ambition in Rosenberg that he hadn’t seen before. He then hired him to become the State Secretary of Commerce. 

“He offered me the opportunity to become Secretary of Commerce and it’s truly humbling and we’re really focused on the future of Indiana’s economy,” Rosenberg said. 

View Comments (1)