The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

The student online newsmagazine of SHS

‘All eyes forward’

SHS football beats Arsenal Tech High School and scores their second win of the season
Darcy Leber
Head coach Alex Bettag talks to his team after the game on Oct. 27. This was the team’s second win of the season.

On Oct. 27, the Cards football team won their second game of the season and had their first sectional win since 2019, beating Arsenal Tech High School 41-12.

Despite what head football coach Alex Bettag calls a “sloppy” game with lots of penalties on both sides, he is proud of the team for putting together a win.

“I’m just proud of them for fighting through it and finding a way to get it done,” Bettag said.

The Cards started out strong in the first quarter with a touchdown by sophomore Riley Matlock and a fumble recovery by junior Domonique Shanklin. The fumble recovery drive ended in a touchdown by junior Tony Taylor and a two-point-conversion by sophomore Jeremiah Stanovic, who was a steady contributor throughout the game, in part he believes because of his preparation this week.

“What you eat and sleep on Wednesday is what you play on Friday,” Stanovic said.

Sophomore Jeremiah Stanovic runs past the opposing team’s players. He attempted to run the ball in for a touchdown. (Darcy Leber)

During the second quarter, senior Calvin Miller recovered a fumble, and the drive ended in a field goal by junior Gerson Torres. With four minutes left in the second quarter, Tech got their first touchdown, but their attempt for a two-point conversion was no good. Before the half, Taylor scored another touchdown, leaving the score 25-6.

During the third quarter, sophomore Gavin Cummins completed several long throws to senior Uriah Stearman, showcasing their connection.

“I was his first quarterback last year, his first year playing football,” Cummins said. “He’s just kinda my safe spot. If I need anywhere to throw, I’ll look to Uriah’s side.”

The series of passes between the two drove the Cards down the field and ended with another touchdown by Taylor and two-point conversion by Stanovic. The third quarter closed with the cards leading 33-6.

During the fourth quarter, Cummins found Stearman in the end zone for a touchdown, and the two-point conversion attempt by Matlock was successful. Tech got their second touchdown of the night, but the extra point was unsuccessful, leaving the Cards with a decisive win 41-12.

Alongside their win, senior Jesus Castillo broke a record during the game for the number of pancakes during a single season, which “felt great.” A pancake is when an offensive lineman puts a defender on their back during a play, and Castillo raised the record to 40. This number could get even higher as the Cards still have at least one game left this season.

The Cards will face off against Warren Central High School, who beat Perry Meridian High School 49-0 in the first round of sectionals, for a chance to move on in the state tournament.

Following the win, Bettag told his team to put “all eyes forward” in preparation for their game next week and thanked the students who have supported the team through the highs and lows.

“It’s been a tough road for the last couple of years, but (I’m) really happy and excited for that group of opposite of fair-weather fans … ,” Bettag said. “They’ve stuck with us.”